Obtaining and Renewing a Press Card

The procedure for foreign correspondents applying for press cards in France.

The accreditation of foreign journalists living ine the French territory and working for a foreign media outlet is subject to a procedure that refers to both regulatory texts governing the profession and immigration laws.

Journalists wishing to work in France can apply in person for an accreditation at the
Accrediation office located at The Ministry of Foreign Affairs
The application is processed by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Bureau des accréditations de la presse étrangère - Accreditation of foreign correspondents’ office
37, quai d’Orsay 75007 Paris
Téléphone : 33 1 43 17 42 39

and present the following documents:

A current, valid passport bearing a long-stay “D” visa that includes the words “visiteurs” and “carte de séjour à solliciter dès l’arrivée”.

NB: Journalists from EU member states are exempt from visa requirements.

A letter addressed to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs by the press outlet designating the journalist as a permanent correspondent and specifying his duties and his salary. A minimum of €1,000 per month is required. The applicant must also provide proof of salary (pay slip, bank statement…)

Proof that a bank account has been opened in France

1 photo

1 CV

The journalist will also be convened to an interview at the Interior Ministry’s Foreign Press Office.

Finally, it should be stressed that holding a press card is incompatible with the exercise of any other salaried profession whatsoever or the enjoyment of diplomatic, consular or similar status.

published on 25/04/2017

top of the page